Se Habla Español
How can I choose a safe nursing home?
Bad things can happen at highly rated nursing homes, so while your odds may improve by placing a loved one in a highly rated nursing home, you still need to be wary of what is happening at the facility. If you are looking for the best nursing home available to you, there are some simple steps you can take to better ensure the safety of your loved one.
When searching for a nursing home, always check the federal Medicare website (www.Medicare.gov/nursinghomecompare) which has a star rating system for nursing homes. The rating system is not perfect and some nursing home companies have tried to manipulate their ratings, but this will give you some good information for you to consider.
After your family member becomes a resident at a facility, be sure to regularly ask questions and watch for signs of abuse or neglect. Some questions you can ask at the facility are:
- Are the facility and current administrator licensed?
- Does the facility conduct timely background checks on all staff members?
- Does the facility have nursing home abuse and neglect training?
- How often is In-Service training offered?
- Does the facility have a special services unit?
- What is the staff turnover percentage?
- What is the resident to staff ratio?