Personal injuries do not just lead to pain and high medical bills. They can also cause long-term damage to your body, mind, finances, and family life. Fortunately, if you reside in Jefferson County, you may be able to receive compensation for your losses to make you financially whole and relieve some of the stress and burden of suffering from an injury.

If you need help seeking financial compensation after an injury that happened as a result of someone else’s negligence, get in touch with a Jefferson County personal injury lawyer. A qualified attorney can inform you of your legal rights, determine the value of your case, and fight tirelessly to make sure you receive the maximum compensation available to you.

Deadlines for Filing a Jefferson County Claim

If you suffer personal injuries in a Jefferson County car crash, you have five years from the date of the accident to bring your personal injury claim to court. It is important to talk with a personal injury lawyer if you or a loved one has been injured because there are some other deadlines that may apply and some of them are much shorter than five years. For example, a medical malpractice case that involves personal injury but not death must be filed within two years of the date of the negligent conduct. A wrongful death case must be filed within three years of the date of the individual’s death. If you file to file your claim with a court before the deadline for that kind of case expires, you will likely be unable to pursue your case. That is why it is so important to see a lawyer as soon as possible after suffering a personal injury.

These time limits to being a personal injury lawsuit or wrongful death lawsuit are known as the statute of limitations. A Jefferson County personal injury lawyer could work with you to file the correct paperwork and make sure your case is brought to court well within these time limits.

Types of Damages Available in Personal Injury Lawsuits

There are two general types of damages individuals can recover for their personal injuries; actual and punitive damages. In most cases, individuals pursuing a personal injury lawsuit are pursuing actual damages—otherwise known as compensatory damages—to cover their losses.

Actual damages can be further broken up into economic and noneconomic damages. Economic damages include financial losses such as medical bills and lost wages. Losses without a specific dollar value, such as pain and suffering and emotional distress, are considered noneconomic damages.

Punitive damages, are relatively rare and can be difficult to obtain. Punitive damages are designed to punish the defendant for their negligence and require judicial approval before your lawyer can present evidence of punitive damages to a jury.

Common Personal Injuries

Many people who have been wrongfully injured or whose loved one has suffered a wrongful death are unsure whether they need legal representation or do not know whether they are eligible to pursue a personal injury claim. Many different types of injuries and accidents qualify for a personal injury lawsuit, including:

  • Vehicle accidents
  • Nursing home abuse and neglect
  • Medical malpractice
  • Slip and falls
  • Dog bites
  • Dangerous drugs
  • Workplace accidents

Generally, any time someone is hurt as a result of someone else’s negligence, it is beneficial to contact a Jefferson County personal injury lawyer who can go over the facts of their case.

Speak with a Jefferson County Personal Injury Attorney Today

Accidents caused by someone else’s negligence can lead to serious injuries. Unfortunately, injuries cost money, and these costs may only continue to grow as ongoing medical bills become a part of your life. However, a Jefferson County personal injury lawyer could help you take the right steps towards getting compensation for your injuries.

Get in touch with an experienced trial lawyer today to learn more about how we can help you recover full and fair compensation after an accident that was not your fault. Call today to set up a free consultation.

Call (314) 878-9797 to request a free consultation!